In normal day to day life there will always be people in the position of leadership and subjects to be lead. These are positions that we will always have in life and there is very little we can do to avoid them. And if you think you can then you are wrong, take a look at this illustration of a family where there is the husband (male) and wife (female) and their children, in such a setup there will be some elements of leadership in different roles performed by each member of the family. That is just to explain why some people will be leaders and others will be the subject to be lead. Now in any good leadership, leading by example from top is always the secret to success. In this article however, we want to look at how best eliminating drug addiction by leading from the top can be made possible. This could be applicable everywhere including workplaces, families, learning institutions and many more. Our focus is however going to be on the taking good leadership about eliminating drug addiction in our work places. Previously we dealt with addiction in workplaces but now we want to see how good leadership can be an effective tool for effective management of the scourge of addiction. Experts from AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center, under the able leadership of doctor Dalal Akoury says that any effective health and safety performance in a work environment can only come from the top trickling down.
Doctor Akoury says that in an organization where there is the board of directors as the top decision making organ, it is always very important that members of the board have both collective and individual responsibility for health and safety as one of the pillars of the organizations’ policy. When it comes to alcohol and substance abuse, directors and boards need to examine their own behaviors, both individually and collectively, against the guidance given and, where they see that they fall short of the standards set by them as policy makers, then they must held themselves accountable to change what they do to become more effective leaders in health and safety matters. This is the only way through which they can be good implementers of the policies they formulate and that explain why they should always be seen to be leading by example from the top on addiction and any other matters of policy.
The question as to why the senior officers of any organization should and must always be on top of everything in terms of offering good leadership is one that many leaders often want to ignore by hiding under the umbrella of delegation. I agree that delegation is one of the leadership and management strategies, but it is important to note that the person delegating is responsible for any failures that may occur. Therefore the policy makers bear the greatest load in ensuring that all the health and safety policies are observed to the latter. The following are some of the reasons why directors and board members must lead from the front:
- By doing so they will be protecting the health and safety of employees or members of the public who may be affected by the illicit activities including alcohol and drug addiction. This is an essential part of risk management and must be led by the board.
- Failure to include health and safety as a key business risk in board decisions can have very serious catastrophic results. Many high-profile safety cases over the years have been rooted in failures of leadership.
- Health and safety law places duties on organizations and employers, and directors can be personally liable when these duties are breached. Like for instance, members of the board have both collective and individual responsibility for health and safety.
Eliminating drug addiction by leading from the top: Strong leadership and workers involvement from the top
When an organization is based on strong leadership and the involvement of the workers is trickling down from the top, the following are possible:
- Visible, active commitment from the board;
- Establishing effective ‘downward’ communication systems and management structures;
- Integration of good health and safety management with business decisions.
- Engaging the workforce in the promotion and achievement of safe and healthy conditions;
- Effective ‘upward’ communication;
- Providing high quality training.
- Identifying and managing health and safety risks including the alcohol and drug abuse
- Accessing (and following) competent advice
- Monitoring, reporting and reviewing performance.
Addressing health and safety should not be seen as a regulatory burden: it offers significant opportunities. Benefits can include:
- Reduced costs;
- Reduced risks;
- Lower employee absence and turnover rates;
- Fewer accidents;
- Lessened threat of legal action;
- Improved standing among suppliers and partners;
- Better reputation for corporate responsibility among investors, customers and communities;
- Increased productivity, because employees are healthier, happier and better motivated.
We must appreciate that the power to succeed is in the ability and willingness of your work force to deliver. This willingness can be impaired by alcohol and drug abuse badly. And that is why when it comes to addiction in workplace, leading from the top is not an option but a must. The problem that can arise to defeat this initiative could be when the top managers and directors are the ones struggling with the scourge. If this is the case and it is quite common these days, then the organization must seek for help immediately for her senior managers. These are the drivers of the economy of your organization and therefore drugs or alcohol must not be the reason of their underperformance. According to the experts at AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center, many highly ranked organizations have gone under receivership because of alcoholism and substance abuse. Doctor Akoury is a veteran addiction expert and has been impacting positively to the lives of many people across the globe and you and your organization must not do down because of a problem that can easily be fixed. All you need to do for the rebirth of you position of profitability is to schedule for an appointment with doctor Dalal Akoury today by calling her on telephone number 843 213 1480 and she will gladly handle your individual and collective problems with utmost confidentiality while delivering lasting solutions professionally.