Weight loss consistency enablement: Staying on healthy weight by helping your child in setting goals
The home set up is the best place for good child bringing. When you are blessed with children, you owe them the duty of care by ensuring that they are healthy throughout their growth and development. Having said that, many parents have failed in the area of healthy up-bringing of children. With the prevalence of obesity, many families have neglected their children in matters pertaining to weight loss. As a parent weight loss consistency enablement in the family is very important if our children are to escape from the complications associated with being overweight. You can help them in many ways including helping them set weight loss goals and mindfulness of good diet as follows:
- Set short-term goals for changes in your child’s diet and exercise on a weekly basis. Update your goals each weekly and write them down. Like you could set time limits for watching TV and jogging around.
- Ensure that the set goals are realistic. For example, exercising an hour every day is unrealistic for a child who is de-conditioned, and not used to even minimal physical activity.
- Appreciate them when they meet their weekly goals.
- Have your child keep a record of their food intake and exercise. This will allow them to be more self-aware of their behavior. Give them positive feedback where necessary on their performance.
- Praise your child for healthy food choices and physical activity. Criticism and punishment just don’t work.
- Make sure your child understands that they can make a difference in their weight and that you will support them all the way.
- Help your child recognize hunger and fullness signals. Stop eating when you’re full and turn down helpings when you are no longer hungry.
- Help your child figure out what kinds of emotions and situations trigger overeating for them.
- Make your child’s behavior changes a positive, fun experience by planning healthy foods, fun activities, and rewards for positive behavior.
Weight loss consistency enablement: Watch their media diet
- Think about all the media your child uses: television, computer, video games, and hand-held computer games. These are all activities that replace physical activity in your child’s daily routine. Placing time limits on them will free up time for a more active lifestyle. Watching TV can use less energy than simply sitting and resting! Also, we tend to snack on high calorie foods during these inactive times.
- Teach your child to be media savvy. The media bombards us with images of thin people having fun while eating and drinking high calorie foods. Kids don’t necessarily have the cognitive abilities to process this paradox.
- Limit inactive things like TV, video games and computer time. Watching TV can use less energy than simply sitting and resting! Also, we tend to snack on high calorie foods during these inactive times.
Finally, you realize that the above weight loss consistency enablement are home based. It means that if as parents, we chose to be there for our children and watch them grow in good health, we can collectively kick out all the health complications attached to obesity. We encourage you to put this in practice and consult regularly with doctor Akoury on areas that needs professional expertise.