Colon cancer prevention: Get screened for colon cancer
Being healthy is the desire of every one. This desire has become very elusive because of serious health complications that affect our lives. Colon cancer is among the many problems we are at risk of contracting in our later stages of life. This health condition is life-threatening. If a quick remedial action is not taken, the worse will be inevitable. Therefore, colon cancer prevention is a must do for every person. The risk is greater from 50 years of age and above. Screening should be considered at this point. However, where the risk is high like those who had members of their families affected before, earlier screening is advised. And because different types of screening have their merits and demerits, patients need to consult with their doctors for the appropriate test for each patient. Doctor Akoury MD, President, and founder of AWAREmed health and wellness resource center advises on what is helpful in the colon cancer prevention.
Living a healthy lifestyle is essential for the prevention of colon cancer. And for this to be done, you may want to consider these steps:
- Feeding on a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. These are rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants, which are essential in cancer prevention.
- Stop drinking alcohol. It is advisable that you keep off alcohol but if you have to, do it in moderation in a ration of less than a bottle for women and not more than two for men respectively in a day.
- Stop smoking. Cigarette smoking is addictive and doctor Akoury can be of great help here. You can schedule an appointment with her today on telephone number (843) 2131480 or contact Dr. Dalal Akoury on Facebook, LinkedIn.
- Physical activities. Take at least 30 minutes of exercise if not on a daily basis then on most days weekly. But for those who have been inactive, start slowly and build up gradually to 30 minutes. You can also, talk to your doctor before starting any exercise program.
- Healthy weight. If you are at a healthy weight, work to maintain your weight by combining a healthy diet with daily exercise. If you need to lose weight, ask your doctor about healthy ways to achieve your goal. Aim to lose weight slowly by increasing the amount of exercise you get and reducing the number of calories you eat.
Colon cancer prevention: Prevention for people with a high risk
Finally, there are particular medications that help in reducing the risk of precancerous polyps or colon cancer. However, these are still under study and are only reserved for people with a high risk of colon cancer. Like for instance, some evidence links a reduced risk of polyps and colon cancer to regular use of aspirin or aspirin-like drugs. Though it’s not clear to what dose and what length of time would be needed to reduce the risk of colon cancer. This is because, taking aspirin daily also has some risks, including gastrointestinal bleeding and ulcers. Because of that, many doctors don’t recommend this as a prevention approach unless the patient has an increased risk of colon cancer.