Psoriasis symptoms and beauty: Living with Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a condition that can come suddenly or gradually, many time behaves in a seasonal manner where it comes and disappears from time to time. Nonetheless, the main psoriasis symptom may include; irritated, red, flaky patches of skin. Patches are most often seen on the elbows, knees, and middle of the body. But they can appear anywhere, including the scalp. When they appear, the skin may be:
- Dry and covered with silver, flaky skin (scales)
- Pink-red in color (like the color of salmon)
- Raised and thick
- Genital sores in males
- Joint pain or aching
- Nail changes, including thick nails, yellow-brown nails, dents in the nail, and a lifting of the nail from the skin underneath
- Severe dandruff on the scalp
There are five main types of psoriasis:
- Erythrodermic – This is where the skin redness is very intense and covers a large area.
- Guttate – In this, a small, pink-red spots will appear on the skin.
- Inverse – Skin redness and irritation occurs in the armpits, groin, and in between overlapping skin.
- Plaque – Thick, red patches of skin are covered by flaky, silver-white scales. This is the most common type of psoriasis.
- Pustular – White blisters are surrounded by red, irritated skin.
Psoriasis symptoms and beauty: Treatment
When psoriasis occurs treatment should be done immediately to control your symptoms and prevent further infections. Currently, we have three treatment options applicable:
- Skin lotions, ointments, creams, and shampoos. These are called topical treatments.
- Pills or injections that affect the body’s immune response, not just the skin. These are called systemic, or body-wide, treatments.
- Phototherapy, which uses light to treat psoriasis.
Psoriasis symptoms and beauty: Tropical treatment used on the skin
In most cases, treatment of psoriasis is administered by applying for medicine directly on the skin or the scalp. Some of the medicines used for this may include:
- Cortisone creams and ointments
- Creams or ointments that contain coal tar or anthralin
- Creams to remove the scaling (usually salicylic acid or lactic acid)
- Dandruff shampoos (over-the-counter or prescription)
- Prescription medicines containing vitamin D or vitamin A
For severe Psoriasis, it will be very important that you get the doctors opinion as opposed to treating it on your own. Consulting with doctor Akoury will be the starting point and upon visiting her office, she will evaluate your situation and may recommend medicines that suppress the immune system’s faulty response such as methotrexate or cyclosporine.
Psoriasis symptoms and beauty: Phototherapy
Some people may choose to have phototherapy which is a medical treatment in where your skin is carefully exposed to ultraviolet light. This procedure may be applied alone or after you taking a drug that makes the skin sensitive to light. It can also be given as ultraviolet A (UVA) or ultraviolet B (UVB) light. For wellness of your skin and beauty, the professional input offered by doctor Akoury and her team of experts at AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center would be very necessary. Therefore, take the most immediate time and schedule for an appointment with the experts today.