Dealing with alcoholism is one of the most frustrating health conditions for families. It pains the most for families watching their loved ones suffer and get ruined because of alcohol. As a society we have a duty to help contain the endless problem of alcoholism. When it sets foot in one’s life the whole society will feel the impact her about if a significant number is affected directly in the same society? It will be unbearable, that is why we must take our rightful places in our neighborhood to give our contribution however little it may be it will go a long way in helping someone get better. Treatment is very fundamental and the earlier the better. We have discussed in the previous article the general treatment for alcoholism, but in this article we are going to be interrogating very specific treatments for specific severe symptoms of alcoholism and therefore I want to welcome you once again to remain focus on the link for detailed useful information about this problem at hand.
Treating Delirium Tremens – it is important that you get to know certain symptom in good time for early treatment precaution. Delirium tremens is a significant symptom requiring an immediate attention when sported, therefore individuals with this symptom must seek for treatment which should involve intravenous administration of ant-anxiety medications immediately and where necessary restraints should be applied to prevent injury to the patients and people around them.
Treating Seizures – seizures are usually self-limited and treated with a benzodiazepine. Intravenous phenytoin (Dilantin) along with a benzodiazepine may be used in patients who have a history of seizures, who have epilepsy, or in those with ongoing seizures. Because phenytoin may lower blood pressure, the patient’s heart should be monitored consistently during treatment.
Psychosis – for hallucinations or extremely aggressive behavior, antipsychotic drugs like haloperidol (Haldol), may be administered. Korsakoff’s psychosis (Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome) is caused by severe vitamin B1 (thiamine) deficiencies, which cannot be replaced orally. Rapid and immediate injection of the B vitamin thiamin is necessary.
Standard forms of therapy for alcoholism include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Combined behavioral intervention
- Interactional group psychotherapy based on the Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) 12-step program
AA’s 12-step approach to recovery includes a spiritual component that might deter people who lack religious convictions. AA emphasizes that the “higher power” component of its program need not refer to any specific belief system. Associated membership programs also offer help for family members and friends of alcoholics. The application of AA’s 12 steps provides relevant support network involving group meetings periodically across the world. The following are the magic steps according to AA.
- We admit we were powerless over alcohol — that our lives have become unmanageable.
- We have come to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- We have made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understand what this Power is.
- We have made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- We have admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- We are entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- We have humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings.
- We have made a list of all persons we had harmed and have become willing to make amends to them all.
- We have made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- We have continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
- We have sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understand what this higher Power is, praying only for knowledge of God’s will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we have tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
This method is based on structured skills and be suitable for people with severe alcoholism. Under this method patients are given assignments meant to help them advance their willpower to cope with basic living situations including controlling their behaviors and changing their way of thinking about drinking. These can be done in the following approaches:
- Patients will be encouraged to write a brief history of their drinking experiences and illustrate what they consider to be risky situations.
- They are then assigned activities to help them cope when exposed to “cues” (places or circumstances that trigger their desire to drink).
- Patients may also be given tasks that are designed to replace drinking. An interesting and successful example of such a program was one that enlisted patients in a softball team. This gave them the opportunity to practice coping skills, develop supportive relationships, and engage in healthy alternative activities.
CBT may be especially effective when used in combination with opioid antagonists, such as naltrexone. CBT that addresses alcoholism and depression also may be an important treatment for patients with both conditions.
As the name suggests this is a collection of various counseling techniques meant to motivate alcoholics to consider turning away from their drinking habits. The various elements could for instance be derived from psychotherapy treatments such as cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational enhancement therapy, and 12-step programs. This will help the addicts to understand the mechanisms for not taking alcohol purposely to achieve and maintain total abstinence.
Treatment for alcoholism will not be successful if only direct victims are treated. Those who are also suffering from the effects of alcoholism also needs to be involved in the behavioral approaches to help them understand and cope with their recovering alcoholic partners. Where children are involved then it will be necessary that both parents participate in couple based therapy instead of just administering treatment to the parents with alcoholism.
It is common knowledge that majority of alcoholics also suffer from sleep disorders that may last for months or even years. This condition must be arrested in good time and the following are some of the available therapies; sleep hygiene, bright light therapy, meditation, relaxation methods, and other nondrug approaches. We have been talking about treatment all through and now I want to introduce to you experts who will be of great help to you in matters like this. Doctor Dalal Akoury is an experience medical doctor of several decades of practice. She founded AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center where together with her team of experts they are offering addiction treatment to patients globally in the most natural ways. They are doing this by focusing on Neuroendocrine Restoration (NER) to reinstate normality through realization of the oneness of Spirit, Mind, and Body, Unifying the threesome into ONE. Being in the care of doctor Akoury is all you need to turn around your life completely.