Life has a lot to offer after addiction recovery. This is not just a statement of invitation to treat but a statement loaded with lots of facts for your health. One chilly morning someone knocked on my office door and when I allowed him in, he handed to me a piece of paper soaked by the dew from the cold weather. The writing on the paper was simple and direct. It stated that “enjoy life by quitting your smoking habits.” After reading the message the bearer asked as I looked on “is it true doctor?” “I use my cigarette in cold weather like this to feel worm and high how will I protect myself from the cold without smoking?” up to we were still standing right in my office, the I offered him a seat so that we can have a heart to heart discussion about his concerns. This is what many people go through despite the available help and solutions around them. From the story of this gentleman we want to share with you some of the concerns that lingers on smokers minds and end up denying the plenty of enjoyable things life has to offer. As we progress into the discussion, if you are out there are you are struggling with all sorts of addiction, you can talk to us at AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center. This is an addiction solution health facility which was established by doctor Dalal Akoury (MD) to meet the needs of all people across the globe that are in one way or the other are struggling with addiction. Questions like how can I resist the urge of smoking when doing the things you like often come up and we are going to sample some of those questions and respond to them progressively.
Enjoy life by quitting your smoking habits: How can I resist the urge to smoke when I’m having coffee or tea?
In many instances smokers will have the pleasure of taking their favorite beverages while smoking their substances. This is often very common that one would easily mistake it to be an accompaniment for the drink. Therefore if this describes your situation, it is important to note that your favorite beverage may act as a trigger to smoke when you finally quit. With that in mind careful attention must be taken to have this urge properly managed and the following are some of the applicable tips you can employ in dealing with the urge:
- Inform your colleagues of your quitting so that if for example drinking coffee or tea was your favorite, they won’t offer you a cigarette as an accompaniment.
- While enjoying your drink (coffee), take deep breaths between the sips to inhale the aroma. Breathe in deeply and slowly while you count to five, and then breathe out slowly, counting to five again.
- Try switching to decaffeinated coffee or tea for a while, particularly if quitting has made you irritable or nervous.
- Keep your hands busy by nibbling on healthy foods, doodling, or making a list of tasks for the day.
- If the urge to smoke is very strong, drink your coffee or tea more quickly than usual and then change activities or location.
- When you quit smoking, drinking coffee or tea without smoking may make you feel sad in that case focus on what you’ve gained by quitting.
Doctor Akoury is reporting hat food normally tastes better after quitting smoking, and due to that your appetite may suddenly become much bigger than usual. With this experience it will not surprise anyone if the urge to smoke comes immediately after meals. This desire to smoke after meals may depend on whether you are alone or in the company of other smokers or with nonsmokers. And remember that your urge to smoke may be stronger with certain foods, such as spicy or sweet foods. Besides that the urge to smoke may be stronger even at different meal times. Therefore for proper management of that the following tips can be helpful:
- It is important that you are aware of the kind of foods stuff that increases your urge to smoke and make effort of staying away from them.
- Always try to have company every time you are eating and therefore if you are alone, invite a friend or take a walk as soon as you’ve finished eating.
- Brush your teeth or use mouthwash right after meals.
- If you have coffee or a fruit drink, concentrate on the taste.
- Wash the dishes by hand after eating this will keep you from smoking since you can’t smoke with wet hands!
- Eat at smoke-free restaurants.
Enjoy life by quitting your smoking habits: How can I resist the urge to smoke when I’m drinking an alcoholic beverage?
Many smokers often smoke when enjoying their favorite drinks like beer, wine, liquor, or mixed drinks and in the process associate the good feelings with those beverages. It is important to note that up on quitting smoking, you may feel a strong urge to smoke when you drink alcohol. Therefore keep this in mind up front if you are going out for a drink. Nonetheless if you do drink, keep in mind that your control over your behavior may be impaired under the influence of alcohol. When you try to quit smoking, drinking alcohol may make it even tougher to cope and the following hints will be very helpful for you in the first few weeks after quitting:
- Many people find it helpful to reduce or avoid drinking alcohol.
- Switch to nonalcoholic drinks.
- If you do drink, don’t choose the alcoholic beverages you usually have when smoking.
- Don’t drink at home or by yourself.
- Stay away from the places you usually drink alcohol, or drink only with nonsmoking friends.
Enjoy life by quitting your smoking habits: How can I resist the urge to smoke when I’m feeling bored?
When you quit smoking, you may miss the increased excitement and good feeling that nicotine gave you. This may be particularly true when you are feeling bored. Experts say that management of boredom is very important for smokers who have just quitted. To help you in the management of boredom the following hints can be very useful:
- Plan more activities than you have time for.
- Make a list of things to do when confronted with free time.
- Move! Do not stay in the same place too long.
- If you feel very bored when waiting for something or someone (a bus, your friend, your kids), distract yourself with a book, magazine, or crossword puzzle.
- Look at and listen to what is going on around you.
- Carry something to keep your hands busy.
- Listen to a favorite song.
- Go outdoors, if you can, but not to places you associate with smoking.
Finally keeping sobriety after quitting will definitely be an uphill task and you will certainly need help along the way. If you ever need help do not hesitate to call doctor Dalal Akoury (MD) and founder of AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center for professional help immediately today.