Illicit drugs cruelty: Addiction
Drug addiction has no respect to anyone and if any member of the family is struggling with it, the whole family feels it too. In that respect, looking at illicit drugs cruelty and mental health complications, we can only make the right decision of quitting. Speaking to doctor Dalal Akoury MD President and founder of AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center acknowledges the complexity of the two conditions put together in an individual’s life. She says that having drug addiction problem coupled with mental health issues like depression, anxiety or bipolar disorder is medically known as dual diagnosis and sometimes also referred to as a co-occurring disorder. These are not simple complications to have in life. However, if this description suits your situation, then you need not be scared. Our team of experts at AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center are well trained and fully equipped with all the skills to help you regain your life back and live it to the fullest.
Illicit drugs cruelty: The relationship between substance abuse and mental health
There are several links between these two chronic health situations. Like for instance, doctor Akoury registers that in both cases, we have unique symptoms capable of causing harmful alterations to one’s ability to function normally by way of addressing life’s difficulties and even in line with association with other people around you. This can further become complicated especially in the event that the mental health complication is not treated in good time. The consequence of that delay would cause the substance abuse problem to deteriorate further causing more harm to the addict. On the other hand when the use of drugs and alcohol increases, the mental health problems equally increases. It, therefore, means that to be safe all these conditions must never be allowed in an individual all at the same time.
Treatment must be sought for immediately for comfort and health to be appreciated. As we address that it is important that we are acquainted with the order of occurrence of these two conditions. We are all aware of the prevalence of addiction in our societies there is bound to be more people with mental health problems owing to their interrelationship. Nonetheless, even though substance abuse and mental health disorders are closely linked, ordinarily one does not in any way directly cause the other begging the question which one comes first?
Illicit drugs cruelty: Substance abuse vs. mental health
Substance abuse and mental health are two conditions which are complimenting each other to destroy and kill. Doctor Akoury in her campaign of creating awareness about drug abuse encourages that the public needs to be fully informed about these conditions. The following are some of the points worth nothing about the two conditions.
- Alcohol or drugs are often used to self-medicate the symptoms of depression or anxiety. Unfortunately, substance abuse causes side effects and in the long run worsens the very symptoms they initially numbed or relieved.
- Alcohol and drug abuse can make symptoms of a mental health problem worse. Substance abuse may sharply increase symptoms of mental illness or trigger new symptoms.
- Alcohol and drug abuse also interact with medications such as antidepressants, anti-anxiety pills, and mood stabilizers, making them less effective.
- Alcohol and drug abuse can increase the underlying risk for mental disorders.
- Mental disorders are caused by a complex interplay of genetics, the environment, and other outside factors. If you are at risk for a mental disorder, drug or alcohol abuse may push you over the edge.
Finally, having understood the consequences of the two conditions, it is important that you take precaution to be safe by calling doctor Akoury today for a more professional treatment approach.
Illicit drugs cruelty: Addiction