What are adrenals?
They are also referred to as adrenal glands or suprarenal glands. They are small triangular glands, which are located on top of both kidneys in our bodies. These glands play a vital role in our bodies, since they are responsible for regulation of the functioning of our bodies and minds. They are part of the endocrine system, which is branded, “policemen” in our bodies.
What is the function of these adrenals in our bodies?
The reason why adrenals are regarded as very vital in our bodies is because they produce chemicals that maintain life. Death becomes the only option for a person, when the adrenals fail to work. The chemicals which are produced by the adrenals, convert what is eaten by a human being (which is useless to our bodies) into substances which are useful to our bodies. These substances are the ones which facilitate body functions such as growing, changing and provide tools necessary for repairing and rebuilding of body tissues.
Another importance of proper functioning of adrenals is that, they produce very important hormones. One of these hormones is the cortisol, which is a hormone known to regulate physical stress, mental activities, emotion etc. when the adrenal glands are not functioning well, they may lead to insufficient cortisol hormones supply and hence the person is faced with stress among other symptoms.
Is adrenal fatigue real?
This fatigue is a reality. It is a collection of symptoms which come as a result of adrenal glands functioning below the required level. This fatigue in most cases is depicted by intense stress, which can hardly be reduced by sleep. Sleep is a common problem in people with imbalance in adrenal glands. This lack of sleep unfortunately triggers fatigue.
This condition of adrenal functioning below the required level is common in drug addicts. When an addicted person becomes a victim of adrenal malfunctioning, it becomes a more serious problem to address. For any successful addiction program, there is a need to first address the problem of adrenal. The regulation of working of the adrenal should even come before the actual addiction recovery program.
Unlike any other symptoms, the adrenal Symptoms are sometimes very difficult to identify. The problem with the identification of these symptoms is that they may look similar to symptoms of another condition. Therefore, you may need to identify as many symptoms as possible, before you conclude that a given person is a victim of adrenal malfunction.
The following are some of the common symptoms or consequences of adrenals malfunction:-
- Continued fall in body temperature. Since adrenals are responsible for regulation of many body functions such as regulation of body temperature, their malfunction may lead to decline in the body temperature.
- Body weakness – another common symptom of adrenal malfunction is body becoming weak. This is sometimes related to stress, but when adrenals fail to work for long period, it becomes difficult for the person to remain off the bed for more than an hour in a day. Such a person will remain on the bed, since he/she feel his/her body totally weak.
- In some cases, there may be un-explained hair loses.
- Digestion failure may also occur
- Memory loss is also a possibility
- Feeling of frustration
- Mental depression
- Low blood pressure may occur
- Excessive feeling of hunger may also be evident
When a person is an addict, there is likelihood that the addictive substance has caused damage on some body organs. These damages must be repaired, for the addiction recovery process to be successful. Likewise, when a person is faced with malfunction of adrenals, there is need to urgently get assistance to restore the glands to their normal functioning states. This restoration can be done medically or by use of nutrition.
The medical way of preparing body or assisting body in recovery, is sometimes not considered the best option, considering the possibility of side effects from the drugs or addiction from the drugs in the long run, leading to dependency on the drugs. Many people prefer the nutritional way of restoring the adrenals to their functional state due to a number of benefits it has over any other method. Vitamin c is an essential vitamin for balancing adrenals and thus any diet targeting to balance the adrenals should contain sufficient vitamin c.
The following are some of the benefits of vitamin c, when it is used to prepare body and balance adrenals prior to addiction recovery treatment:-
- High dose vitamin c is quickly used during stress. This factor makes it helpful when countering adrenal fatigue. The level of vitamin c is supposed to be kept high, since researches have shown that the rates of utilization of vitamin c are very high during the stressful moments, regardless of the source of stress.
- Vitamin C has been proven to be very powerful in fighting infections and also boosting the general body immunity. Researches have shown that, when a person is a victim of adrenal fatigue, as the levels of vitamin C decline, the immune system also declines in the same manner. This means that the administration of high dose vitamin C improves the immunity of the body, as the levels of vitamin increase. For instance, “Vaslev and Komar (1998) determined that a dose of 300mg of vitamin C resulted in a more rapid recovery of a depressed T-lymphocyte”
- Vitamin C is vital in pre-addiction recovery, as it play a key role in removing toxins from the body. When a person is addicted of a given drug, it is very likely that the person will be either stressed or depressed. The stress reduces the levels of vitamin c in our bodies, hence leaving us with insufficient vitamin c to remove toxins from our bodies. This is because chronic stress lowers the levels of glutathione, a very important substance in removing toxins from our bodies. This is why it is very important for a person who is addicted to be subjected to high dose vitamin c before the actual recovery program begins.
- Vitamin c is very low in toxicity. This factor makes it possible for a person to take it in large quantities, improving the immunity drastically.
Are you thinking of how you can get help on balancing adrenals? Are you an addict and you are looking for a natural way of gradually recovering from the addiction? Awaremed Resource and Wellness Center is your solution. Call us today or visit us at www.awaremednetwork.com.